By Elise Hecker
Cosmetologist, Esthetician, Oncology Trained Esthetics, and Licensed Massage Therapist
As a Licensed Esthetician, I am always focused on facial skin issues and the underlying structures. I recently have become obsessed with the lymphatic system knowing that it is the barometer for overall health and wellness of the skin and the whole body.
When someone is experiencing discomfort or pain in the facial region due to compromised skin conditions ( rosacea and acne), sinus issues or recent eye, mouth or plastic surgery; there is usually a fair amount of swelling, puffiness, edema and inflammation. These can all lead to some degree of sensitivity or pain.
All of these symptoms point in the direction of a sluggish and stagnated lymphatic system.
When lymph circulation is impaired, cellular waste builds up in and around the cells, which can cause swelling, puffiness and even bags under the eyes. These wastes can be moved out through Manual Lymphatic Drainage.
Stimulating the lymph contributes to a quicker healing response and reduces the swelling and inflammation that can ultimately help to diminish facial pain and puffiness.
In addition, for those who may not have pain, but have bags under the eyes or facial puffiness, this can help dramatically.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage is best performed by a skilled and trained professional for maximum results. While Ideally it is best be overseen by a professional, I have outlined a simple self guided daily facial sequence that can give you some pain relief and stimulate the lymphatic system.
How To Reduce Facial Pain and Puffiness with Lymphatic Drainage
Lymphatic drainage of the face starts on the neck just above the collar bone. This is the terminus where all lymph from the head and face will drain to.
The lymphatic system sits just under the skin and requires just a feather light touch to stimulate it.
Each step below will be repeated 3x. On the 3rd x allow your fingers to slide from the sides of the face downward toward terminus (collar bone) and pump several times.
Here is a photo to help you visualize the steps:
1) Place your fingers lightly just above collar bone. Lightly let your fingers do a pumping action all along the space just above the collar bone. This will clear the terminus.
2) Place your two middle fingers just below the ears and lightly drag them downward on the neck toward the terminus Repeat 3x
3) Place same fingers at the middle of chin and drag in outward motion to sides of face. Repeat 3 x
4) Place same fingers at corners of mouth and drag in outward motion to sides of face. Repeat 3x
5) Place same fingers at the outer corners of the nostrils and drag lightly in outward motion to sides of face. Repeat 3x
6) Place same fingers at inner corners of the eye and lightly drag in outward motion under eye area out to the side of the face. Repeat 3x
7) Place same fingers at inner corners of the eye and lightly drag in outward motion over eye area out to the side of the face. Repeat 3 x
8) Place same fingers at center of the face between brows and lightly drag in outward motion over brow bone and out to the side of the face. Repeat 3x
9) Place same fingers at center of the forehead and lightly drag in outward motion to the side of the face. Repeat 3x
10) Place same fingers at top center of the forehead in the hairline and lightly drag in outward motion to the side of the face. Repeat 3x
Repeat each step in reverse starting at the top center of the forehead at the hairline. After you have completed the sequence, place hands on the chest and lightly brush your hands outwardly toward the armpits 3x.
To schedule a consultation with Elise to experience one of her life changing Wholistic Skin Care experiences you can call us at 425 882-9065 or Click here: Schedule with Elise